Friday, March 11, 2011

Sixth Week

Sixth Week


One of the students hand in her quiz not on time. On he one hand I think it is her mistake because she had enough time (over the weekend) and she also found time to style her hair but on he other hand I think she is young and she tries to enjoy her life. I learned always when Professors gave me another chance because I always regretted my mistakes.
In Germany I learned Phonology and it was very difficult to memorize the IPA symbols. I was worried that Professor Gleason will ask students to memorize the IPA symbols but she did not. Phonology is like to learn a new language with a new alphabet and therefore I was scarred to teach phonology.
Professor Gleason prepared a handout for the students which was a very good summary of this chapter and a good introduction to phonology without scaring students. I enjoyed this class and refreshed my knowledge about phonology. Almost all students enjoyed this class and were interested.
During the last 30 minutes I got the chance to “teach”. I prepared a handout with the Turkish and German Alphabet. We compared sound between English, German, and Turkish languages and I felt comfortable to speak to the class and listen to their questions and answers. I mean, it was very easy for me to talk about these languages and explain them.

1 comment:

  1. Ayse, I was happy for you to share some of your knowledge of German and Turkish with the students on this day. You did seem more comfortable and confident during this class than on the previous day that you offered your lesson. I was happy to see you growing more confident and comfortable.

    There was, however, one thing that I asked you to do but you did not do: I asked you to find out how many phonemes there are in Turkish. During class, you referred to the Turkish alphabet to discuss speech sounds. That was ok, but you could easily have found the Turkish speech sounds on wikipedia. The answer is that there are 34 speech sounds in standard Turkish. Here is a link to the wikipedia section on Turkish speech sounds: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_language#Sounds

    ReplyDelete