Thursday, February 10, 2011

second week

Second Week

I read the syllabus a couple of times and I saw how much details Professor Gleason wrote down. When we will work in groups, when they have quizzes, all the homework and readings. I saw how everything is matched up perfectly. Professor Gleason prepared a syllabus which is diversified.

Second week we talked about the movie and students shared what they learned new or what was interesting for them. They found it very interesting how they make research about new words and then decide to put this in the dictionary. They create a line time to document how language is changing and including the new words in the dictionary. We spoke about Standard American English (SAE) and that this dialect is more powerful than the other dialects because it is used in the official writings, government, school and TV.

Another interesting point was that the New York accent is similar to the Boston accent. It was very good explained and it was very interesting to see how language changed. For example in New York the “r” is not pronunciation. In the movie they said they stopped the pronunciation of the “r” sound after World War 2 without an explanation. Some of the students asked “why” on their response papers to the video. I hope I can find an answer.

In classroom I feel like I am an undergraduate student like them. I do not feel ready to teach. Some of the students seem that they are older than me and more intellectual. I hope, they will accept me as a teacher and therefore I have to catch up a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment